Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Maiden kids - late 1930's

While preparing a new picture calendar for 2012, I was digging for some old photos that might help spur memories of years gone by.  This one popped up, and I was delighted to include it in the calendar.

I had seen this photograph before, but it'd never captured my imagination the way it did today.  Perhaps it's the unique personalities of the six Maiden girls -- and one boy -- reflected in their faces and clothing.  Or it might be the contrast of the dry earth barnyard with Grandpa Maiden's bold new barn looming in the distance.  Whatever caught my attention, it's allowed me to examine more closely and enjoy this glimpse of yesteryear out on White River in Dawes County, Nebraska.  There's no date on this photo, but from the apparent ages of those in the picture, I'm guessing this was taken in the late 1930's.

In the rear (left-to-right) are Nettie, Henry, and Betty Maiden.  In the middle are Lettie, Minnie, and Dorothy.  Jackie is in front.  I can't see clearly enough to determine who is to the rear right, closer to the barn.  Perhaps Ray Scott -- Minnie's son -- is the boy, but I can't be certain.  I don't believe that's Grandpa Maiden back there, but again, that's just a guess.

I wish I could remember that barn.  I've been told that Grandpa William J. Maiden was very proud of it.

1 comment:

Bill Maiden said...

Yeah. That is an interesting photo. I saw it when you posted it. Then I had to go look at it again, today. Thanks.